Lolita Fashion - Dolls - Historic Homes - Art - Sewing - Creative Writing - Film - Literature - All things cute!

Sunday 1 November 2015

Suffragette

Yesterday evening my Mum took me out to see Suffragette, and it probably has to be the best film I've watched this year! It's so well done and so important to watch that I recommend everybody to see it, regardless of whether historical matters interest you or not!



Instead of following the stories of Emmeline Pankhurst or Emily Davison as you'd expect, Suffragette is about Maud Watts, a young woman who unwillingly at first becomes involved with the Suffragette movement and loses everything, leading to her to fight for her rights with the rest of the women. Of course, the infamous scene where Emily Davison throws herself in front of the horse is also shown, and I could barely watch, and I felt so sorry for poor Maud who had to watch that happen.

As for the actors, I thought they were brilliant, especially Helena Bonham Carter (one of my favourite actors) who played the chemist and Suffragette, Edith Ellyn, and Carey Mulligan (Maud Watts).

This movie is an emotional rollercoaster filled with tragedy, and in places I very nearly cried, especially where her son was taken away from her. The men in the film absolutely fill me with disgust, especially the owner of the factory that preys on young working girls (though he gets his just desserts soon enough, which serves him right), the random jeering men that believe women will never get the vote, and even Maud's completely ignorant husband.

Maud's life seems terrible, and still she keeps going to work and even manages to laugh and smile once in a while! She was a great fictional character addition to the Suffragette story, and even though she didn't exist in real life, I think the story is very believable.



I love this film and it makes me want to make a Suffragette-themed Edwardian costume at some point!

2 comments:

  1. Your enthusiastic praise for this film makes me want to see it all the more. It hasn't come to our wee theater yet (we only have one here and it tends to focus on kids, horror, and action movies), so I may have to wait to it hits Netflix or DVD, but either way, you can bet that I'm going to watch it. :)

    Big hugs & happy start of November wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll get to see it, as it truly is an amazing, inspirational film. I hope you have a great November, too! :)

      Delete