Lolita Fashion - Dolls - Historic Homes - Art - Sewing - Creative Writing - Film - Literature - All things cute!

Friday 9 October 2015

Queen of Hearts Un-Birthday Skirt

Happy un-birthday to me! This skirt was sewn by myself and my grandmother for my birthday party, though I'll obviously be wearing it before that day.
Originally I was planning an Innocent World-inspired OP with butterfly sleeves, but in the end I didn't have enough fabric for that, and the fabric I bought turned out to not be a good colour match. So I did a skirt instead, which is better in the long run, and you'll see why in my next post...








For the skirt I used Simplicity Project Runway pattern 2444, which included a lot of pleats for a full skirt. We made it up as we went along, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into the making of this skirt (literally!). For the waistband there was a lot of hand-sewing involved, which was really fun, all except for the fabric...
This fabric is gorgeous in design, coming from Carnet Atelier on Spoonflower. I got it for my last birthday, which is quite fitting, but have been afraid to cut into it until now. Unfortunately there have been a few problems in making this skirt, all due to the thickness and rigidity of the cotton - it's such a tight weave! - so I don't think I'll be ordering from Spoonflower again.
Also, it's too expensive for what you get, especially since I live in the UK, and in the end it turned out a completely different colour from what I expected (though this doesn't reflect badly on Carnet Atelier, it was Spoonflower's fault I presume, or possibly my computer monitor being off - by all means order fabric from her; the designs she makes are lovely!). It was thick enough that I didn't need the muslin lining I made.

Speaking of the fabric, I made a huge blunder in choosing the pattern for it. The Alice in Wonderland characters are at different heights in the panels! Never mind too much, but next time I'd like to get my pattern matching right. I'm still a novice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment